Choral composition challenge
The new feature at this, the second edition of EUFONIA as a full festival, is the creation of a choral composition challenge. Entries are now closed, and we have 33 candidates taking part from six different countries (Belgium, Brazil, Korea, France, Italy and Luxembourg). Works from the three finalists will be announced on the 15th of July, 2017, and performed in public on Sunday October 15th at the Basilique Saint Seurin (Bordeaux) by the professional female ensemble « Voix de Stras », directed by Catherine Bolzinger. Several prizes will be awarded at this concert: two Jury Awards, the SACEM-EUFONIA trophy, the AMIDEL-EUFONIA Prize awarded by the « Association des Amis d’Eliane Lavail ». Finally, the audience will vote to award its Prix du Public. Spread the word!
Special « Youth Choir Day » on 14th of October, 2017
The choir of « La Maîtrise de Radio France » (directed by Sofi Jeannin) will be our guest of honour on Saturday October 14th at the Bordeaux Auditorium. To make the most of this occasion and enjoy this brilliant national choral group, we have devised a special full day focused on three themes:
– DISCOVERY, with the organization of two workshops run by Sofi Jeannin and Valérie Philippin
– PRODUCTION, with the possibility of (ad hoc) choirs performing on stage prior to the main evening concert if they so wish
– LISTENING, with the concert given by the Maîtrise de Radio France
The day’s programme
1:30 pm – Welcome at the Bordeaux Auditorium
2 pm – Vocal warm-up
2:30 pm – Workshops run by Sofi Jeannin and Valérie Philippin
3:30 pm – Preparation with Sofi Jeannin of a piece of music to be sung together at the end of the concert given by Maîtrise de Radio France
– The piece sung together at the end of the concert is a work by Julien Joubert « On semble l’avoir oublié », an excerpt from his “Noëls pour Toni” collection.
Download score here
4 pm – Tea-break, courtesy of EUFONIA Festival
5 pm – Free public concert performed by volunteer choirs on stage at the Auditorium (times and number will be decided depending on your replies, and a piano will be provided on stage).
6 pm – Dinner break. Eat wherever you wish, as long as it is not inside the Auditorium (no meals allowed). For your information the Hippopotamus restaurant opposite the venue offers a kiddies menu at €7.50 and accepts groups from 6 pm onwards.
8 pm: Public concert given by the Maîtrise de Radio France
9:30 pm: Evening ends.
Who can subscribe?
– All children’s and youth choirs from associations, academies or primary, junior or high schools may participate.
– Inscriptions must be entered by June 1st, 2017. In the event of overbooking, groups taking part will be decided on a first-come first-served basis (the order in which subscriptions were received completed and with payment).
– An entry fee of €10 per person is requested for the whole day. It includes the workshops with Sofi Jeannin and Valérie Philippin, the tea-break and the concert given by the Maîtrise.
– Download the form below, complete and send it with your payment (cheques made out to « Eufonia ») to Eufonia-Bordeaux – 38 rue Frantz Despagnet – 33000 Bordeaux
Scratch concert – Dvořák
This year we have chosen Dvorak’s « Stabat Mater », one of the most moving of all choral works, performed in its original version for choir, soloists and organ. The conductor will be Salvatore Caputo accompanied by resident organist Jean-Baptiste Dupont and the four soloists Rira Kim (soprano), Adriana Bignagni (mezzo), Olivier Bekretaoui (tenor) and Pascal Introvigne (bass).
The scratch choir will spend two weekends working with our artistic director Salvatore Caputo, ably assisted by Damien Sardet, choir master with the female ensemble Eurydice and assistant to Eliane Lavail at Polifonia. Xinhui Wang, studying professional piano at the Bordeaux Jacques Thibaud Academy, will be at the piano.
The dates for the two week-ends are the 24th and 25th of June, then the 16th and 17th of September, and will be held at the Lycée Victor Louis in Talence (Bordeaux). The Saturday session will be from 2 to 6 pm and the Sunday rehearsal from 9:30 to 12 noon and 1:30 pm to 5 pm. The reference score is the Peters Edition choir and piano version. Choristers will need to have worked on the score before the first weekend and will be required to attend both rehearsals if they wish to sing at the concert. The final rehearsal is set for Sunday October 8th from 6 to 9 pm at the cathedral of Saint André, Bordeaux.
Applications to join the scratch choir are now open. Please click on this entry form for the Dvorak scratch concert.
to be returned duly completed and signed
Validate your application by clicking on this link to pay subscription fee secured payment via the HelloAsso platform